Feeling run down at the library and coffeeshop, need a new place to write? Here are some wacky places that just might make you more productive when you have to grind:
- in a tree with a journal (NOT a laptop) (mind the squirrels)
- in an airport (if you can get past security)
- the roof of a building
- voice record while running
- while watching a movie at the movie theater (only with a laptop if you want popcorn in your hair)
- in math class
- like ambient noise? try a football game
- go to sleep and lucid dream
If you’ve got more, share them in the comments! Let’s beat writer’s block together by hiding in places it won’t think to look for us.
We all experience the high that comes from beginning something…and the drop when you have to finish it. If I had a penny for all the starts in my drafts folder, I’d probably have, like, a dollar. But the show must go on through the murky middle of a novel, and here are a few ways I keep myself excited about the long slog.
- Playlists: I can’t listen to music while I write, but I make playlists for the story/characters/relationships to listen to before I start writing in order to refresh my inspiration/motivation.
- Looking Back: Often when I feel like I’m walking through a swamp, I’ll pull out my planning notebook, which contains all of my research and plotting and doodling for the current WIP, and flip through it, reminding myself how I got to my current point, and why exactly I should carry on.
- Exercise: Go for a run. Go to the gym. Don’t listen to music, don’t listen to anything. I just let my brain float for a while. It deserves it.
- A New Cup of Tea: If I’m stalling and my mug is cold and sad, I break for the ten ritual minutes it takes to prepare a cup of tea. Back at the computer, warm mug in hand, I’m rejuvinated.
- Just Push Through: It must be done. The bottom line is always that if I don’t finish it, it won’t be finished. Chant it like a mantra. Write it on your ceiling above your bed. You must finish in order to truly begin.
✴This has been a queued post, as I am currently in the Amazon with no Wifi. Returning next week!✴